Making a Holiday Gift Bag from remnants of fabric can be a fun activity! So is designing a Cut n Sew Drawstring Bag for a Spoonflower Contest. But first I needed to create a Prototype Bag based on my design.
This gift Bag is made up of two rectangular sides with channel style casings for bias style Drawstrings. It also features a box style base. It is the Prototype version of my Holiday Gift Bag that is entered in the Spoonflower Holiday Gift Bag Contest.
If you are interested in designing you own Bag there is a still a little time… here’s the ‘brief’:
Holiday gift bag
Solve the annual holiday quandary of finding the perfect gift bag! Get ahead of the game by designing your own to give to your loved ones! Create a cut and sew design for your ideal holiday gift bag, including original artwork, sewing pattern, instructions– and don’t forget the drawstring! Please note that previews will be sized on a larger fat quarter (27″ x 18″) to accommodate big gifts like holiday wine and spirits! See an example here. Deadline for entry is Tuesday, December 1st, 2015. Voting will open Thursday, December 3rd, 2015.
When designing my Bag my first task was to figure out what sort of Bag I wanted to make then work out how to fit the pieces onto a Fat Quarter of 27″ x 18″ fabric.
Note: The Prototype Bag measurements are based on the Cut n Sew design I created for the Spoonflower Holiday Gift Bag Contest and can be altered to suit your needs. My design needed to fit on a Quarter Yard of Organic Cotton Sateen Ultra (Fat Quarter 28 x 18 Inch/ 71.12 x 45.72 cm)
The exact measurements I used are:
Bag panel piece 33.89 x 31.1 cm OR 13.3425” x 12.23441”
Drawstring 68.08 x 3.27 cm OR 26.8031” x 1.2874”
Casing 33.89 x 3.27 cm OR 13.3425” x 1.2874”
My completed Holiday Gift Bag design can be seen by clicking this Link
DRAWSTRING BAG METHOD:
- Cut out 2 x Bag panels; 2 x Casings & 2 x Drawstrings from the chosen fabric.
- For both Bag panel pieces use Pinking Shears or Zigzag stitch to prevent fraying.
- Fold & press the allowance of the short sides followed by the long sides of each Casing to the Wrong Side.
- Position & Pin a Casing on each Bag panel piece.
- Stitch the Casing in place by sewing close to each long side fold leaving the short sides unstitched & open as a channel for the drawstring.
- Right Sides facing pin the Bag panel pieces together leaving the top open.
- Stitch ¼ inch/5 mm from edges. (NB if haven’t already done so – Use Pinking Shears or Zigzag stitch to prevent fraying).
- Fold ¼”/5 mm, then ½”/1 cm to the inside.
- Stitch close to folded edge to Hem the Bag opening.
- To create a box style base Pin to match the Bag base seam with the corresponding side seam.
- Sew across the bottom of both triangular points thus giving the bag a box style base.
- Turn the Bag Right Side out.
- Fold & press the allowance (short then long sides) to the Wrong Side of each Drawstring. Fold lengthways matching the edges.
- Stitch close to all the folds.
- Attach a Safety Pin or Bodkin to a Drawstring end and tread it through a Casing.
- Repeat for other Drawstring. Tie the corresponding Drawstring ends together in a knot to prevent them being pulled out. Pull to close Bag.
The result is a quick easy sewing project.
Why not check out my entry into the Holiday Gift Bag Contest & when the Contest is Live (Voting will open Thursday, December 3rd, 2015) cast a Vote for your favourite designs. Don’t forget to add a heart too!
BTW my Nativity Silhouette design is available for purchase right now!
To see more of my Cut n Sew Designs, Fabric, Wallpaper & Gift Wraps check out my Spoonflower Shop
What will you put in your Holiday Gift Bag? Perhaps a Finger Pocket Fish or two..
As always… keep your eyes ‘peeled’ for upcoming Blog Posts! Thanks a Bunch for joining me!